Handy Metro DC
- BlackBerry 10
See the BlackBerry World Catalog Entry for Handy Metro DC for download information.
Handy Metro DC helps navigate the Washington DC Metro Rail system. Features arrival times, station information, incident reports, WMATA tweets and a system map that can be used offline. Handy Metro DC also includes a growing number of station guides to help pick the best train car.
New in Version 1.5.1
- Fixed rail alert and outage report time display.
- New Silver line station guides.
New in Version 1.5.0
- Updated station list and map with new Silver line stations.
New in Version 1.4.0
- Location accuracy display.
- More station guides.
- New splash screen.
- Include @metrorailinfo twitter feed.
New in Version 1.3.0
- New BlackBerry 10 theme!
- Station favorites list.
- Closest stations with distance (geo location services must be enabled).
New in Version 1.2.0
- Filter by rail line.
- More station guides.
- Selected tweet loads in the browser.
- Improved station list scrolling.
Launching Handy Metro DC version 1.3.0 or above now starts the application at the Rail Stations list similar to below.
Touch on the Rail Stations filter button located in the header to update the list based on various criteria:
- All: Lists all metro rail stations, ordered alphabetically.
- Favorites: Lists favorited metro rail stations. To add a favorite to the list, select the rail station from one of the other lists and touch the Add Favorite button (the star with a + in the middle). Touching the Favorites button (the star button) also brings up this list.
- Closest: Lists the nearest 20 metro rail stations and their distance from the device’s current location, ordered by closes station. This list requires the GPS Location feature to be enabled for Handy Metro DC.
- Blue, Green, Orange, Red, Yellow: Filters metro rail stations based on line color. Ordered by station location along the selected line.
Tapping on a station will load the station details panel which includes next train information for any station platforms. Note that your device must have an internet connection to update train information, this can sometimes be an issue in underground stations.
The Station Information panel includes estimated train arrival times and, for some stations, information about which car is the best to ride in order to arrive close to an exit.
Click on the “Add Favorite” or “Remove Favorite” button to add and remove a particular station from the list of favorites. Tap the Back button return to the previous screen, in this case the Rail Stations panel.
From the Rail Stations panel tap (or swipe) the lower-left tab to reveal the shortcuts menu which includes Rail Stations, Rail Map, Rail Alerts and WMATA Tweets shortcuts. Tap on any one to switch to a different view.
Zoom in and tap a station on the Rail Map to bring up the station information view. Tapping on a Tweet will launch the browser.
Swipe down from the top of the device to reveal a menu with the About button. Tapping the About button brings up information about Handy Metro DC.
Q: Why aren’t train times being displayed when I select a station?
A: Check your network connection. Especially in underground stations the device’s network connection may not be active or may be roaming with no data access available. Try the Reload button if you have a network connection - sometimes communication with the server times out.
Q: Why isn’t my location updated when I select “Closest” stations?
A: This is a known issue. Restart Handy Metro DC to update your location as long as the device has access to location services (GPS or network).
Q: I have a BlackBerry Q10, are there any keyboard shortcuts?
A: There are a few keyboard shortcuts implemented in version 1.3.0 however they have not yet been tested on an actual device so the functionality is considered a work in progress:
- A: List all rail stations.
- F: List favorite rail stations.
- C: List closest rail stations.
- M: View rail map.
- I: Zoom in on map view.
- O: Zoom out on map view.
Q: Is Handy Metro DC available for older BlackBerries?
A: Handy Metro DC is only available on BlackBerry 10 devices, to date the Z10 and Q10.
All DC Metro information, including transit data, is provided under license from the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA). Reuse without permission from WMATA is prohibited.
Handy Metro DC is powered by the Enyo framework.